Wednesday, March 20, 2013

RECIPES FROM BARB SHEPHERD

Frustratingly enough it has been many months since my last post.  Life changes affect what we eat and how we eat.  I have had many life changes since Novemeber.  Lots of eating setbacks.  Oh wait everyday for the last two years has been an eating setback causing me to gain 25 lbs, loose 15 lbs and gain back 15 lbs.  I started a new job with the public schools in the kitchen.  I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating this new Michelle Obama eating program is in the school system.  I am sure she envisioned something different when she decided to take it upon herself to put all school children on a forced diet, but honestly the school system I work at needs a nutritionist making the menus.  First of all 800 calories in a meal does not seem like a good idea to me, but I need to research it further.  I might be off the mark on that so don't take my word for the calorie count.  What it has turned into at least at the high school is that they are getting about 2 oz of protien like shredded chicken or taco meat and then noodles on top of mashed potatoes and a dinner roll to sop it up with.  Then they can eat all the fruits and veggies they want. Ok, well whatever happened to limiting carbs and especially the wrong kind of carbs that break down quickly and what about tempering that breaking down with the use of adequate protein so the kids are not starving an hour after they eat.  Again I have to do the propper research, but honestly all us cooks are eating more than we are giving the students for portions and we are all starving an hour after we get done lunch.  I don't know how students are supposed to study for 3 hours after lunch with their stomachs growling.  I will have to get back to you on this. 
     Another source of my frustration for a long time is I don't know where my place is in the world I am living in.  I moved in with someone and I am trying to not make huge changes in their home, but honestly I feel like I have no part of myself anymore.  I have finally found a place where I can be creative and work to my hearts content and I feel like I have even managed to carve out the much needed time to do so.  I am however extremely frustrated about the lack of sleep which causes my metabolism to slow down and then I store fat which negates all the weight loss tactics.  So I bring up my creative spot because in clearing my work space this evening I found some recipes from an old friend who I would love to be close to again but she married a man who treats her badly and she refuses to leave him so I had to walk away.  Anyway these recipes came from a time when we were single mothers trying to raise our children and were living on food stamps.  We often shared meals so that we could afford to get through the month.  I was going to cooking school and so this friend of mine gave me the family recipes I could use for class as long as I didn't let the school claim them.  There were 3 of them that I absolutely love.  I doubt she knows I have a blog since we have not spoken in years and even if she does manage to find it I guess she will find issue with me.  I hope you enjoy these they are amazing for poor people food. 

NO PEEK CHICKEN

9x13 baking pan
8 thighs (1 1/2- 2 lbs cut chicken)
1 Cup of rice
1 Can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
1 soup can of water
1/2 cup of milk
optional-1 can of mushrooms
1 pkg lipton dry onion soup mix

    Mix everything but chicken.  Pour into 9x13 pan. Put chicken on top Sprinkle with Lipton dry onion soup mix. Cover with foil.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 2 hours.


NOODLE HAM BAKE

3 Slices of ham, diced
1 can of tomato soup
1 cup of sour cream
1 cup of cottage cheese
1-2 cans of mushrooms
minced onion
garlic salt
1/4 tsp or so of black pepper
1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 large bag of wide egg noodles, boiled and drained

    Mix all ingredients except the noodles. Grease an 8x10 pan with shortening.
Layer noodles, half of ham mixture, layer of noodles, half of ham mixture, layer of noodles, shredded cheddar cheese on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment